Posts Tagged With: conflict resolution

Learning How To Be a Good ‘In Law” On a Family Farm Or In a Family Business

jones family

I have really struggled with how I want to represent this blog and myself on this blog.  Should I focus on parenting, technology, or giving voice to the 2% of us that feed the other 98%?  I follow so many wonderful Agriculture advocating blogs (aka agvocates).  Some write about new equipment, some about biotechnology, and others share wonderful recipes and stories about their toddlers.  While I love all of these posts my children are getting older (8 and 11), I do not have a degree in any science related field, my hubby and father in law (FIL) are the equipment experts on our operation and I am just not sure what my area of expertise is!  I have many blog posts started and because of this struggle I have not been able to decide which ones to finish.  So I have come to the conclusion that my blog needs to be about a little of everything because that is what the role of a farm wife requires, a little bit of everything every single day.  Although my passion lies in sharing stories about the positives and possibilities of biotechnology and the realities of modern day farming operations, today I am writing about another issue; how it feels to wear the hat of the ‘daughter in law’ in a family business.

Being the one to marry into a family business is a difficult task indeed.  Often work routines, beliefs, values, and pay structures have already been established.  Although the new ‘in law’ has often been raised by an entirely different set of values, this person is sometimes expected to abandon their previous experiences and ‘go with the flow’.  Opposition or voicing new ideas can be viewed by other members of the business as causing trouble.

Continue reading

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , | 15 Comments

Blog at WordPress.com.

A Year in the Life of a Farmer

The joys, trials and tribulations of farming in southern Saskatchewan.

Animal Ag Engage

Bridging the communication gap between farm and fork!

HawaiiFarmersDaughter

Adventures of a farmer's daughter in Hawaii

SLEUTH 4 HEALTH

A Blog For the Rational Public. The Real Truth About GMOs & Other Stuff

Illinois Farm Girl

a look at the ever changing face of agriculture

Rural Route Ramblings

Farm girl. Farmer's daughter. Ag marketer. Ag volunteer. Outdoor enthusiast. Fashion lover.

My Other More Exciting Self

Farm Raised | Shoe Enthusiast | Baking Queen | Mom

Nurse Loves Farmer

Nurse. Farm wife. Boy mom. Believer.

Cami Ryan

Ag, Science, Society and the Stuff of Life

Stray Kernels

Random musings from DeKalb County Farm Bureau Ag Literacy

jasonagronomy

A fine WordPress.com site

Random Rationality

Biting Off More Than I Can Chew...

Agriculture Today

a look at the ever changing face of agriculture

Minnesota Farm Living

Faith, Farm and Food

The Foodie Farmer

a look at the ever changing face of agriculture

Beef Runner

Running and Travel fueled by Beef

Dairy Carrie

Live, Love, Eat Cheese